Monday, September 15, 2008

Goodbye Brazil!

Where to begin? Jocie and I had some ups and downs in Brazil. For the most part we had very positive experiences, but the first day in Salvdaor was a huge shock for us. Everything prepping us for Salvador suggested that we be very cautious, and of course being in a foreign country, you are always cautious. But, when we got off the boat, we entered Salvador in one of the more rundown parts, so it was a bit of a shock. Everywhere we went it seemed like the locals knew we would be there, and were waiting to almost prey on us. I know a few people were attacked by locals and things were taken, and Jocie’s credit card number was stolen. But looking back on this day, I am still trying to work out why I was so uncomfortable. I have traveled before and have face situations where I was uncomfortable. But It was very unnerving for both of us because we didn’t speak the language and we felt almost lost. I almost felt inadequate, like I couldn’t do anything to help these people and the only thing they wanted from me was a few real in exchange for a necklace. I don’t know what I was expecting, but I am glad it didn’t meet my expectations. I don’t think I ever considered the true poverty that has crippled certain parts of Brazilian society. I think I was just expecting to get to Brazil and go out to clubs, or tour cities similar to the US, and relax. I don’t think I gave Salvador enough time to relax form my shock, and I definitely need to go back and see more.

Following Salvador, I went to Rio and Jocie went to the Amazon. I can’t speak for jocie’s experience, but entering Rio was almost like entering a different world compared to Salvador. Rio is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been in. If you know anything about Rio, you know about its beaches, famously the Copacabana Beach. But Rio is situated in between mountains, the ocean and a bay. The views from the Christ of the Redeemer (one of the new seven wonders of the world) to sugar loaf mountain are absolutely breathtaking. There is amazing food as well. There is the great mix of cultures in Rio so you can get anything from sushi and crepes and to tradition Brazilian shrimp and meat dishes. We also visited a favela in Rio and there is this great social program called mangeuria social, which is providing education and training in the arts and sports for kids. This program gives these kids an escape from the violence and drugs in this favela, and is a mark of the push for social welfare programs that are expanding general access to better jobs in Brazilian society. Brazil is still very much divided by race, with few important government and private positions held by any minorities. There are significant signs of progress in Brazil with increasing social programs and the government’s recognition that it needs to do more to bridge the huge wealth disparities. It will be very interesting to watch what happens in Brazil in the upcoming years as it attempts to launch itself fully into the industrial world.

No comments: